Marble Blocks A sorting
Thassos Marble D.N. Haritopoulos S.A.
Our company was founded in 1972 as a quarry by Mr Dimitrios Haritopoulos in the form of sole proprietorship. In 1985 the company was reformed, and remains to this day, as a limited company under the name of D.N. Haritopoulos SA. By 1987 we were only quarrying the "Snow White" Marble of Thassos. In 1988 we established our own factory for the exclusive cutting and processing of the marble from our quarry.
The quarry and factory benefits from the latest and best technologies available. We invest in our plant constantly to ensure that we are utilising the latest leading edge technologies with robust equipment to guarantee the delivery of quality products to our customers.
Our company currently employs 54 permanent staff, 24 at the quarry, 26 in the factory and a management team of 4. We invest significantly in the training and education of our workforce.
30 % of our total production is destined for export. Iraq, China, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Italy and Spain are amongst our largest consumers. Most of the exported marble is loaded into containers and shipped from the port of Thessaloniki. The remaining 70 % of our production is absorbed by domestic Greek marble companies, the finished products from these companies is also exported in the global market.
Our Quarry & Factory production
From our quarry we produce marble blocks, offcuts and aggregates. We use modern technology and techniques to extract the marble, including the latest water cooled wire saws.
Our factory works exclusively with the marble from our own quarries. The marble blocks and offcuts are transported to the factory by our own trucks where they are cut into slabs of 2 and 3 centimeters thick. These unworked slabs are then either sold or processed, into tiles typically sized 30x60, 40x40, 40x60, 40x80. Custom sized tiles can be cut to order. With the use of the latest cutting technology (wire saws) we can also produce blocks or slabs to custom dimensions.
The output of the factory includes, squared marble slabs of various thicknesses and squared marble tiles. Both polished and unpolished. We can accommodate orders for custom sizes of both tiles and marble blocks.
Our annual production is about 5,000 cubic meters of marble blocks, 35,000 tonnes of offcuts and 6,000 cubic meters of aggregates annually. The factory produces 20,000 m² of marble slabs and 90,000 m² of marble tiles per year.
D.N. Haritopoulos S.A.
We respect the environment and use energy efficient electric machinery. All of the water used for the cooling and dust suppression of the cutting and polishing machinery is 100% recycled through a complex biological filtration system.
History of marble excavation on Thassos Island
The quarrying of marble on Thassos Island is an ancient art and its history has been recorded from at least the 7th century BC where the records show that the Parians established a sculpting school. There is clear evidence of some of these ancient quarries in the popular tourist area of Aliki, you can even imagine the techniques used to extract the blocks. From this time there are also writings about Thassos White marble being used all over Greece and Asia Minor, usually in the construction and decoration of temples and other important civic structures.
It is said that the Romans also utilised Thassos marble and transported it all over their empire.
During the Byzantine era it was used extensively throughout the empire, including the construction of parts of the famous Agia Sofia Basilica located in modern day Istanbul (Constantinople).
Thassos Snow White marble’s popularity is undiminished to this day and is now used all over the world for selected and exclusive buildings and their decoration.
Blocks, Tiles, Cut to size
A 30% of our total production is destined for export, Iraq, China, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Italy and Spain are the largest consumers. Most of the exported marble is loaded into containers and shipped from the port of Thessaloniki. The remaining 70% of our production is absorbed by domestic Greek marble companies, most of the finished products from these companies is also exported.
We produce marble in the following categories:
1. Squared rough block οf marble = A sorting .
2. Marble blocks = A1 , A2 , A3 .
3. Slabs & Tiles marble polished or unpolished = A1 , A2 , A3 , A4 .
Custom sized tiles can be cut to order, or tiles typically sized 30x60, 40x40, 40x60, 40x80.